Re: Hindemith's Das Marienleben/cover art

From: Mike Flemmer <mikejf@freewwweb.com>

> I haven't seen the Images CD, does it show a sample of all the
> covers on all of GG's albums?  I would like to find a book or
> booklet that shows samples of all of the covers from all of GG
> LP albums.

The Images CD includes only a few pages. Most of them aren't album
art. They range from well-known pictures of GG (one of those pictures
from circa 1981 showing GG in chair, plus a nifty variation of that
picture taken from the same photo shoot showing GG smiling in chair)
to candid shots. (A couple of GG in the 1950s, laughing at something.)
Plus handwriting samples. (Now THOSE boggle the mind. As an editor,
I'm used to translating some bad handwriting, but I'm stumped when I
try to read GG's handwriting.) There's also a baby picture, but I've
heard it's actually a picture of GG's father. Whoops!

As far as cover art goes, did I hear that Sony was going to reissue
the CDs with the original cover art?

Also, there was a fan site that had much of the cover art, but it
(sob!) disappeared into the ether. (The ether bunny did it?!) If you
want a specific picture (for example, the Das Marienleben picture),
maybe somebody on this list has a .GIF or .JPEG on hand...

> > What's so great about this cover photo is that it's a true,
> life-size photo (of just their faces).  True life-size photos
> of male/female duos on covers are very rare.

It's hard to get some duos to stand close enough to each other to take
a picture.

Did you know some record stores had life-size Glenn Gould stand-ups to
advertise one of the recent reissues? I would've loved to have one of
those. Still, it would be pretty eerie to walk into my apartment at
night and blunder into that. ("Eek! There's a strange man in my
apartment, wearing a long dark coat... Whoops. Never mind.") In a
bookstore, I once turned around and saw a life-size cardboard cutout
of a famous cookbook author (hint: very tall woman), and I almost
fainted from the surprise.