Re: Silly Post about Classical Music in Ads (OT)

Right you are, Ann. I recall a MasterLock commerical during the Super Bowl several years ago that used the wonderful aria "Ruhe sanft" from Mozart's singspiel, _Zaide_. I've always wondered just how many football fans recognized the tune or could recall the words. I guess MasterLock's point was that one can 'rest softly' whenever their brand of padlocks are used. :-)
Garry

From: "Anne M. Marble" <amarble@abs.net>
Subject: Silly Post about Classical Music in Ads (OT)
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 13:56:45 -0400

I saw this on another list and couldn't resist mentioning it here (even if
GG didn't like Mozart):
"A new TV ad for Microsoft's e-mail program uses the _Confutatis
Maledictis_ from Mozart's _Requiem_ as its soundtrack. 'Where do you want
to go today?' is the cheerful slogan on the screen while the chorus sings,
'Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis . . .- which translates as
'The damned and accursed are convicted to the flames of hell.'"

Weird things happen when companies pick classical music for their ads --
especially if they don't check to find out what the lyrics mean. Hee hee.
"The damned and accursed." Yup, I often feel that way when using Outlook
Express.

Well, at least they're not trying to use Glenn Gould's recordings to
advertise stuff. Yet. (Then again, a Lincoln TownCar ad set to GG's music
and showing a TownCar zipping around Toronto might be appropriate... <g>)

------
Anne M. Marble