Re: GG and all that jazz

>From Kate Clunies-Ross
>Good afternoon everybody

Hi!

>Whilst browsing through my Oxford Dictionary of Music >recently, I noticed (under the GG entry) that it states
>he had "an exceptionally wide repertory from 16th
>century keyboard works to Jazz".

>Now whilst I have a touching trust that works of reference >like the ODM will not lie to me, I confess I personally >find it hard to imagine GG playing jazz!

ODM wasn't lying to you. They were just... confused about the truth. <g>

Apparently, that entry has said that for years. It was like that when GG was still alive. And hasn't been changed yet. I remember reading an essay or interview or something where somebody mentioned that entry to GG, and he said, "Oh, they haven't changed that yet?"

GG did, however, have a telephone relationship with Bill Evans. And from what I have read, Bill Evans played "Conversations with Myself" on ... get this! ... CD 318. Yup, GG's piano. So there was apparently a lot of trust there.

OK, bye, back to the Quarterly Meeting! I have to take notes so that I can write about it in an upcoming newsletter.

AMM