Re: GG: the murderer

> Can you tell us the name of the German magazine? Maybe the German members
> of F-Minor can tell us whether it's a respectable publication that should
> have known better than to use such a term... or a tabloid publication that
> is living up to its usual (lack) of standards.

I just looked at the website Anne pointed out and I think the mentioned
publication 'Scala' is one of the more popular/lower quality ones. The
name is subtitled by 'all about classics and jazz' but in hte material on
the website these are accompanied by 'musical' and 'crossover' as
well. Having a brief look at the contents of the magazine offered on the
website this lists
	. the great tenors
	. the great conductors
	. Jose Carreras
	. Nigel Kennedy
	. the divas
	. ... and Glenn Gould

So they seem to be more in favour of celebrities than of music. And
somehow Glenn Gould seems to fit in there being not completely
un-celebrity. (This rather unfavourable verdict comes only from looking at
their website - I haven't actually looked at the magazine and probably
won't do it in the future).

> I tried to translate the article with Alta Vista and another translation
> program, but of course, nothing made sense. Then again, maybe it didn't
> make much sense to begin with.

Anne is right with her suspicion. It doesn't make sense. Although the
biographies I've read about GG may be biased this article seems ridiculous
to me. I'll try to translate it for you to judge for yourselves (Please
forgive any glitches in the translation). The text is written in a
fairy-taleish style:

GG has long turned into a myth. On the occasion of the re-issue of his
Bach recordings, SCALA appreciates his genius: as an angry perpetual
child.

There was a small boy who didn't want to grow up. His parents, simple,
friendly and religous people knew that he would be a genious. They
fulfilled all of his wishes and isolated him from the world to protect his
talents. In the small house for piano-playing which his father had
had built for him he lived in his own fantasy-world in which he reigned
together with his many animals as if it were on his own planet.

There was no space for other humans - in his world humanity had long
exterminated itself by nuclear weapons -, but only for animals all of
which understood the language of music, i.e. the language of their master.
Many years later the small boy had turned very old but still hadn't grown
up and he was asked by a TV station to make a film on his hometown
Toronto. So he went to the zoo and sang Mahler's "Ich bin der Welt
abhanden gekommen" to the elephants. He knew they would understand them.

When his mother, a piano teacher, was still pregnant with him - she was
over 40 and after several miscarriages this should be her longed for first
child - she told her best fried that his name will be 'Glenn' and that he
will be a pianist, "a great one, I know". While she was pregnant she
continuously played the piano to improve his musicality....

---

Well that's it. And it's quite strange. However this is not all of it and
the rest of the article is supposed to be in the magazine itself -
although I doubt that it's worth reading it...

Just my £0,02

		Sven

--
Sven-S. Porst . ssp@earthling.net . http://beam.to/ssp