Re: GG: 32-Short Films about Glenn Gould

I haven't watched the film "Thirty Two Short Films about Glenn Gould". Can anyone tell me any information about it?? Also, can you tell me your feelings about it?? Thank You:)

Best Wishes,
T.A.

Wonderful. Unlike typical film biographies, portraying the sequences of events deemed important in the subject's life, this is a work in the true Gouldian spirit - as he would have said, a "mood piece". While it loosely follows Gould's life in terms of chronology, the structure is derived from the Goldberg Variations, that is, the film is rather a series of vignettes depicting different aspects of Gould's character. Colm Feore makes for a fabulous Glenn, his mannerisms accurate and his diction impeccable. There are few other performances in the film, other than a brief cameo by one of the writers, Don McKellar. Naturally, the majority of the work is set to (or certainly includes) Gould's work. The musical selections are remarkably apt: the second movement of the Piano Sonata in B minor by Strauss to accompany recollections by those who knew him, the Sarabande from the first French Suite as Glenn drives in the rain, Prokofiev when his nasty chemical habits are described, the C major prelude from WTC I to conclude. Elegant, poetic . . . a must have for a Gould fan in my opinion.

David Peer