Re: Fwd: GG -the quality of ecstasy

>Quite! And in addition it occurs to me that depression and
> tension could be described as the exact opposite
> of 'ecstasy" ...they are states when you are locked
> inside yourself, trapped without any ability to reach out
> to new emotions, with no hope of touching the reality
> outside. Gould's music can unlock the door of that prison.
> (Well, I think thats so, anyway). I believe someone once
> wrote that he thought it the greatest complement if
> someone considered his music to be 'therapeutic'. I'm not
> 100% certain what he meant by this, but it certainly beats
> pills and potions!

I'm not entirely sure what he meant -- therapeutic can mean
so many different things. I would guess he meant that he
liked learning that people used his music to ease from
tension. (Surely if anyone knew the importance of that...)
To calm down, to make life better. (Reminds me of a
poster I saw in college -- "Please don't tell me to relax.
It's only my tension that's holding me together.")

Speaking from personal experience, GG's music can also be
inspirational. OK, other music can be inspirational, too.
I enjoyed listening to "The Usual Suspects" soundtrack while
writing a short story with intrigue and a surprise twist.
But I truly believe that I didn't become a better writer
until I started listening to Glenn Gould. I became more
prolific, and maybe even better. (My mother thinks my
most recent novel was my best.)

Of course, suddenly, all my heroes tend to be enigmatic,
devoted to their work, dynamic, etc. And the hero of that
most recent novel is a terrible driver. :->

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has found inspiration
in listening to Glenn Gould recordings.

Pretty much off topic:
Did you hear the joke about the action movie stars who were
asked which famous composer they wanted to play?
Naturally, Arnold Schwarzenegger said, "I'll be Bach.