GG: Venting time

Someone just posted a message on the Glenn Gould Foundation
message board, arguing that things such as Glenn Gould
websites and the Foundation would be an anathema to
Glenn Gould because he loved his privacy so much.

It started out like this:
"Most people who are familiar with Glenn Gould know that he
loved his privacy. Now what then of all these "fan" clubs
and websites and magazines devoted to digging up and
scouring someone who detested this sort of exposure."

Now, I'm all for being respectful of Glenn Gould -- without
taking myself too seriously. But I _don't_ think that
putting up a website is some kind of insult to GG. To me,
it's a way for fans to pay tribute to him; to teach others
about him (yes, that's a very good thing!!!); and of
course, to discuss Glenn Gould.

I can understand the protestations to the GG Prize, etc. And yes, I suppose it would be more appropriate to put the
sculpture in Wawa -- but then, fewer people would see it
then, and I think that would be a Bad Thing.

But striking out at the websites and the magazine... well,
that just goes too far! <g> Seriously now... This is one
way for people to discuss Glenn Gould. Are we supposed to
keep quiet just because he liked his privacy? Let's not
forget that for all his love of privacy, he also liked to
talk, _a lot_.

Am I way off base here?!

Well, anyway... naturally, I responded to the post. I hope
I managed to be civil. :->

Here is the URL if you want to reach the board directly:
http://www.glenngould.ca/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

The first post is here:
http://www.glenngould.ca/wwwboard/messages/115.html

And my diatribe -- I mean reply -- is here:
http://www.glenngould.ca/wwwboard/messages/116.html

Anne M. Marble