Another article about that damned syndrome

Someone who knows I like GG sent me this link:
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Entertainment/reuters20000607_2294.html

The many doubters on this list will be happy to know that it includes the
opposing viewpoint as well. As often occurs, Helen Mesaros is called upon
to provide her own (opposing) viewpoint. While I don't agree with much of
what she says, she does make an important and valid point. Let's not forget
that much of GG's behavior came about because of the effect of his
childhood!

On the other hand, I'm sick of blaming Glenn Gould's parents -- especially
his mother -- for every little "odd" thing he ever did. And yet never
crediting them for the good things he brought about! (Hey, you try raising
a kid like that and see how well you do! <g>)

I'm also sick of the concept of "blaming" anybody or anything because
somebody lives his life in a different way. Creative people -- scientists
and well as artists -- are supposed to be different. They see the world in
a different way. And they don't always have the time, inclination, or need
to interact in so-called normal ways.

BTW is it just me, or do some of the "symptoms" of _that_ syndrome seem ...
ethnocentric? For example, there are many cultures where, as a norm, people
don't like to be touched. There are plenty of cultures where it's normal to
wear the same clothing until it gets worn out.

------
Anne M. Marble