Re: A Gouldian Defense Variation / A thank you for video help

Birgitte Jorgensen wrote:

As a newcomer to the list, I send out greetings to all fellow Gouldians

Welcome!

I must concur with Kate Clunies-Ross on her impatience with the
discussions of Asperger's disease as a way of "explaining" Gould and her
wish (apparently shared by many on the list) that the issue would simply
be dismissed for lack of relevance.

Thank you for the response. I'd just like to mention however that I,m not entirely sure that it is not "relevant"...although at the present I dont think Aspergers describes GG, I do from time to time vacillate and consider it might be a 'possibility', What I do think however, is that this particular point soes not make for a particularly fruitful argument. It's just a label ...but the rest of you are free to disagree of course!. While it might suggest why GG displayed a certain combination of characteristics, it doesnt actually explain anything...but perhaps some expert will in the future come up with a cause and explanation of Aspergers syndrome itself; then indeed we might gain some useful insight into the lives of sufferers. GG was a complex man.As I've said previously, I feel very strongly that his nature influenced his music, and I dont therefore think it 'irrelevant' in any way (or intrusive) to discuss either. Best wishes to all Gouldians Kate