Re: A Gouldian Defense Variation / A thank you for video help

From: David Pelletier <PROMONDE@AOL.COM>

> In a message dated 6/15/00 1:11:13 PM, john.burke@MINDSPRING.COM writes:
>
> << I think the best way to understand Gould >>
>
> I think the best way to understand Gould is to listen to and appreciate
the
> music as the sum of all the elements that contributed to his ability to
> create the majesty of his aural allusions.

Don't forget "The Solitude Trilogy." And other radio documentaries, as
available. Those were as important to Glenn Gould as his music.

Also, don't forget GG's essays. (His essays were often like fugues in the
way he played with language and sentence structure.) Sure, I don't have to
know what he thinks to appreciate his music, but it adds another dimension,
even when I (gasp) disagree.

I don't think we could ever truly come to completely understand an
_ordinary_ individual, let alone somebody like Glenn Gould. ("I grok
Glenn." Nope, sorry, doesn't work.) Writers of fiction put a lot of
emphasis on knowing their characters, but at the same time, they realize
that they can't even understand themselves. When they create a character,
they realize that they're just showing the essence of that person.

Psst, how do you like my new sig line?
------
Anne M. Marble
amarble@sff.net