De: Elmer Elevator <bobmer@javanet.com>
Para: Mario Betteo <symbto@INFOVIA.COM.AR>
Fecha: Domingo 2 de Julio de 2000 01:40
Asunto: Re: questionnaire

BOB MERKIN wrote:
Hi --

Forgive my candor, but I really don't think it's humane or appropriate for a psychoanalyst to delve into matters of music, art or literature. I know that psychoanalysts have often done this. But nothing of insight or importance has ever resulted. Enjoy Glenn Gould's music as a civilized man. If you need to do more about music, play or compose your own music. Don't psychoanalyze human creativity. You can only diminish and tear down creative inspiration which is essentially beyond science; it is a kind of inexplicable magic. If you were to succeed in some kind of pragmatic understanding of the creative impulse, your colleagues would only use it to identify the creative impulse in children and stamp it out.

Bob Merkin

Mario Betteo wrote:

 HI; I am a lacanian psychoanlyst  , actually giving a seminar concerning  music and psychoanalysis. I decided to study Glenn Gould  since I believe  that  he is someone I  can call  a "teacher" (in the plain sense of the word, someone who had something to say, to transmit to musicians and non-musicians).  So I am deeply interested  in knowing other's oppinions concerning  this point. That is the reason I am sending  a small questionnaire to anyone would  like to  give its point of view. QUESTIONNAIRE
  1. Which is the importance  you give to Glenn Gould (as a piano player and/ or critic) in your personal life?
  2. Did you learn somethig from him?
  3. Which kind of critics you would make to his particular way of playing the piano?
  4. Do you like another version of J.S.Bach's Goldberg Variations besides GG's? Which and why?
  5.  Where do you find  in GG's  records, that "different sound" that  makes you know that you are hearing Glenn Gould instead of anyone else?
Thank you for your time and interest in answering. mario betteo barberis
psicoanalista
symbto@infovia.com.ar
4-778-3582 /4-771-6662
4-778-3283 (fax)