Re: Kinda of OT: I can't believe I'm discussing Schoenberg...

At 02:01 PM 7/3/2000 +0000, Anne M. Marble wrote:
Also, one poster has argued that Schoenberg is considered a
composer who turned to 12-tone music because his non-12-tone
music was so mediocre. Does that argument hold water? Or
has he been brainwashed by his professors?

That argument holds as much water as a Klein bottle does. http://www.kleinbottle.com/

(...)
Some of the guy's arguments are really silly. For example,
"I've had professors state as much." and "I've seen books
and articles dismiss Schoenberg's early music as
unimportant."

Bah! Is that what people call an argument these days?! What
kind of musicians are we churning out of those schools?

Unfortunately, that's what some people (including college students) do think is a valid argument these days. I've seen books and articles that said so.

Bradley Lehman Dayton VA http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl