From: Jim Morrison [mailto:jim_morrison@SPRYNET.COM]
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 1:31 PM
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: leonhardt's english suites (off topic)

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying Gustav Leonhardt's 1973 recording of the English
Suites on harpsichord, first released on the SEON label and now reissued on
Gould's current label of Sony, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has
heard these recordings and can comment on them.  I've never heard the Suites
played on the harpsichord and I'm also wondering if anyone has a favorite
recording of them on that instrument.  Gramphone like Leonhardt's and
Gilbert's recordings of the mid-80's.  Of course, I would be happy to hear
anything that our resident harpsichord and early music authority Bradley has
to say on the subject.

By the way, if anyone is still interested in buying the Gould videos at
amazon at the inexpensive rate of ten dollars a tape, I suggest you order
them now.  I tried to order a couple of them to round out my collection, but
only one was available due to a lack of stock.

Oh wait, one other thing, I recently found on the Gramophone site a
comparison of Gould to some other organist.  Here it is.

Jean Guillou is not the first to embark on an extensive (even integral)
recording of Bach's organ music nor, I suspect, will he be the last, he is
however likely to remain the most deliberately idiosyncratic for some time
to come. Whilst others chase the elusive goal of authenticity (beyond
getting the ornaments right) Guillou doesn't even try opting instead to
interpret it through the eyes an ears of another composer, viz. his own.
To some extent his approach resembles that of Glenn Gould, in that he aims
at the clear separation of contrapuntal strands, often by means that were
not available to Bach himself.

More on him can be found on the gramaphone page.

Bye for now,

Jim