Therapeutic Gould

Good evening, FMinor
Earlier today, whilst browsing  in  the newsagents, I came across an article
in this month's Classic FM magazine about the therapeutic uses of music.
(Don't worry, I'm not about to start quoting it)

But it reminded me of a letter GG wrote to somebody who had asked him if he
would be interested in participating in research aimed at measuring the
therapeutic value of his own playing. So back I went to the "Letters'... and
there it was, dated 30th March 1980, to Dr John Diamond.

Gould replied that although he regarded it as the highest compliment that
anyone should deem his music therapeutic, he did not want to try to find out
why his work had that quality - perhaps because of a superstitious fear that
if he did, the ability to produce it would disappear!

Now I myself find Gould's playing is therapeutic...both when dealing (for
example) with stressful situations, and also with bouts of actual physical
illness.

People have kindly shared with us those recordings which move them to
tears...also which Bach recordings would be essential on a desert
island...ould anyone care to comment on the therapeutic use that they make
of GG's music? Not that they need to actually name the problem needing such
a cure! And would they name the pieces which have this  quality?

As for me, I would include the 2nd English suite...parts of the French
suites...and (at this point I am tempted to insert "of course", but others
might not agree) the whole of the 81 Goldbergs...

Best wishes
Kate