RE: [F_minor] GG tourist sites in Toronto?

I didn't have any time & money left to go into the big HMV there on Yonge. I did go to several of the bad little HMVs in malls, but didn't buy anything in those. The purpose was to hunt down things that I can't easily get or order elsewhere; and Sam's and l'Atelier Grigorian both did well at capturing my money in that regard. Especially I wanted to snap up a batch of Naxos reissue discs that aren't offered in the US, due to licensing problems.

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but you can often find many rare recordings simply by checking eBay, Amazon, and the many re-sellers and collectors who advertise online at competitive prices. Even Naxos has a great website.

No; the trouble is that this whole series
http://www.naxos.com/mainsite/NaxosCat/naxos_cat.asp?item_code=8.110306#
is NOT AVAILABLE for sale in the US. Consequently, they aren't offered by Amazon.com or by Amazon.ca, and normal import channels won't yield them either. It's not just about being rare.

But it's perfectly legal to go buy a commercial copy in a brick-and-mortar shop in Canada, and bring them back through declared customs. (Just as a personal collector, of course, not to resell them.) I don't fancy ordering them at premium price and huge shipping from Europe or elsewhere.

I found a bunch of Toscanini et al on Naxos, too, that have never been available here.

The big find, as I mentioned, was the Canada-only boxed set of Ashkenazy playing all 27 of the Mozart piano concertos...for under $30. Decca, specially manufactured right there at Victoria Park Avenue in Toronto.

Brad Lehman