Re: GG: Re: Mapping the heart of a fugue...

>Curious comparison between GG and Giacometti.

The comparison was prompted by seeing the huge Giacometti retrospective in
London recently. I knew the tall, etiolated sculptures (of the 1940s?), and
had at least heard of the tiny, claustrophobic pieces. I had seen some of
the portraits in reproduction, but thought -- completely mistakenly, I now
realise -- that portraiture was a kind of second string. Nothing had
prepared me for the unflinching severe loveliness of these massive works --
by far the most important part of G's output, I now think.

- Alun

 ALUN SEVERN          *    snail:         1 Chestnut Rd  Oldbury  Warley
                                          West Midlands B68 0AX  England
                      *    voice:         +44 (0)121 422 9509
                      *    email:         alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way.
                                    - Native American Proverb (Blackfoot)