Re: GG: GG in '81 on JB's D Min

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Mary Jo Watts wrote:

> In an interview Tim Page did with GG just before the release of the
> new Goldbergs, GG and TP discuss the Brahms D Minor furor in relation
> to the tempo system GG devised for the Goldberg release.  Seems GG
> used this tempo system on many celebrated occasions. (The system is
> discussed at length in the interview.)

Thanks to both Mary Jo and Junichi for sharing this with us. But wasn't
that the bonus record in "Bach, Vol. 1," that had both Gouldbergs. It was
released as a three-LP set in 1984.

> I transcribe a piece of this interview from the Japan-only release CD
> (thanks, Junichi!)  As far as I know this interview isn't published
> anywhere though I don't know why considering it's one of the most
> detailed and lengthist comments GG made about the Goldbergs and his
> tempi. It's also one of his last interviews.  (Though I suspect, from
> the sound of it, GG scripted the whole thing.) Maybe it will show up
> in _GlennGould_ the magazine.  Anyone know?

I *think* I saw it in a book devoted to interviews with many pianists in a
university library many years ago. Unfortunately, I'm very hard of hearing
and don't want to go through all fifty minutes of the disc to try to hear
if the passage below [snipped, actually] is on the disc.

I also wonder whether excerpts from this disc were in the 1981 Fall
issue of _Piano Quarterly_ and reprinted (in whole?) in Tim Page's _Glenn
Gould Reader_. The discussion of Bernstein is not in that book.

Frank