Re: GG: Sound recording resources?

At 12:02 1/06/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm trying to put together a bibliography about the history of sound
>recording.  I have quite a few books about early recording
>machines/Edison/phonography etc. but I'm looking for more contemporary
>sources which address issues that relate to GG and to his "Prospects of
>Recording" essay.

Mary Jo,
 There is an excellent book called "Wireless Imagination : Sound, Radio,
and the Avant-Garde" by Douglas Kahn, Gregory Whitehead (Editors). I got
the reference from Amazon, but I note that there are several copies
available in Aus for $10!  The book is a collection of articles by various
people all relating to theories of sounds - including some quite similar
ideas to Glenn, as well as some even far out ones, especially in realtion
to disembodiment.  Really cool!  A standard reference book about Studio
techniques is the "Recording Studio Handbook" - I forget the author but it
has a blue cover - that's helpful isn't it?  It covers basic studio
techniques (for the 80s) eg splicing, tape machine calibration etc etc as
well as some basic history from a studio engineer's point of view.

>Everyone please join in with suggested recordings and why you think
>they're important to recording history.  How successful were GG's?
>experimetns in the studio?

Suggested recordings:
(1) GG Goldbergs as a paired set: because of the uniqueness of an artist
recording the same major work twice in so different forms.
(2) "Switched-on-Bach": still probably the best known all-electronic recording
(3) "Conversations with myself" [Bill Evans 196[3|4]? : The best early
example of artistic overdubbing.
(4) "Tusk" [Fleetwood Mac]: I think this is the first all digital album ie
in recording and mastering.
(5) "Sgt Pepper's" : Great 4 track technique.
(6) "I'm not in love" [10cc] : First example of the mixing desk as an
instrument.

I'm don't quite think the Gould Sibelius experiments work as well, although
the theoretical approach is very interesting.
* Bruce Petherick                                               *
* b.petherick@vc.unimelb.edu.au                   *
*il n'y a pas de hors-text                                      *
* Bringing Musicology to the masses                   *
* Harry Conick Jr is the Hanson of the Jazz world *