Re:Gould's Chromatic Fantasy

>At 10:24 AM 10/26/98 -0700, jerry and judy wrote:
>>After decades of playing the Chromatic Fantasy (I'm just an amateur), I
>>never quite understood it as any more than a youthful (and chimerical)
>>exploration of a free keyboard form and some possible 'effects'.  I had
>>read that it isn't a very early work, which didn't help its status in my
>>mind.
>>Recently I picked up Gould's SMK 52620 solely for 'a' performance of the
>>Italian variations and the CPE sonata. But the performance of the Chromatic
>>caught my ear and impressed me by the way it's conceived and held together!
>>GG is in his virtuosic element!, but he focuses everything towards the
>>success of the piece, as a wide ranging statement.  The few Gouldian
>>eccentricities meld very well with the intended 'freeness'.
>>
>>If you acquire this disc, I don't think you'll soon get tired of this music
>>making!  The Scarlatti is fresh, the CPE Bach is strong, and GG's love of
>>JSB is everywhere evident.
>>
>>Does anyone else have a favorite Chromatic Fantasy that I could study for
>>comparison?  I have a few that I can't recommend as highly.
>>
>>Jerry
>
>Jerry, may I trouble you to tell me what is the Wq number of the CPE Bach
>sonata that is on the disc?
>
>Thanks,
>
>David Klein

No trouble, the 'liner' notes say Wq 49 No.1 (H.30) in A minor

the timings are
Moderato        4 07
Andante         3 29
Allegro assai   4 24

recorded 30th St Studios, NYC  30Jan68

My Dover collection says Wq 49 1-6 were composed in Berlin 1742-44,
published Nuremberg 1744.

I just played through this sonata and I couldn't help but notice and try to
pull off GG's little 'fluorish' at bar 47 (2 11 into the track) in the
Andante.  :)

Jerry