Re: Glenn Gould: The New Listener

>>Thanks for your interest and patience!  As a token of appreciation, we'll
>>offer members of the F-minor list and the Friends of Glenn Gould a discount
>>on the retail price.  I'll try to keep everyone posted as soon as more
>>details become available, and those CD-ROM packages make it out our doors...
>
>Excellent news. I hope DNA are producing a multi-platform CD, not one for
>Windows alone. Don't forget the Mac!
>
>>P.S. Ian, what does it mean to be "nobled"???
>
>Nobbled?
>
>Tim

Yes, the CD-ROM is multi-platform, i.e. Macintosh and Windows95.
Unfortunately, and much to the dismay of one f-minor listmember in
particular, we are not going to release a UNIX version... :-(

And a bit of a digression ... thank you for the responses to my query re:
"nobbling" ... I've located the word in the Canadian Oxford Dictionary,
just lines after "nob", "no-bake" and "no-ball" ... and now know that it's
"British slang" for 1. tampering with (a racehorse) to prevent its winning;
2. getting hold of (money, etc.) dishonestly; 3. catching (a criminal); 4.
securing the support of or weakening (a person) esp. by underhand means; 5.
seizing, grabbing.  Here on the West Coast of Canada, some of us have lost
touch with our colonial cultural history ... but as Glenn Gould was of
Anglo descent, I'm sure he would have known the meaning of the term "to
nobble" (had to tie the GG thread in here somewhere...)

No, nothing of the sort has been taking place ... at least, not with Sony
... ;-)