Re: rosalyn tureck tour

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Andrew J Hrycyna wrote:

> Actually Tureck's performances help me define what I love so much about
> Gould--and also what I sometimes miss.  I think Gould's Partitas
> recordings are fantastic. Incredibly virtuousic and brilliant, first of
> all, but also witty when they have to be, and devotional, too (as in the e
> minor).  But they are always absolutely *driven*.  It makes for an intense
> listening experience.  Gould defined the Partitas for me for a long time.
> A couple of harpsichord performances I heard were only disappointing.  Not
> nearly as smart or exciting, at least to me.

Have you heard Edward Parmentier's recording on harpsichord?  He catches
the moods very well, is intense without seeming driven, and (best of all
for GG fans) there are many levels of interest happening simultaneously in
the texture.  Intriguing details leap out for attention where they are
smoothed over in other players' performances.  And his e minor, like GG's,
is especially good.

See http://www.musicblvd.com/cgi-bin/tw/19076_43_180594 or
http://www.musicaloffering.com/wildtip3.htm#9101

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.45716N+78.94565W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/