Re: Why No Ricercare?

Hi Andrew and all,

    Which leads to my question: Am I right that Gould never recorded this
    6-voice fugue?

Unfortunately yes, I am virtually certain.
He may have played it in a concert or two, but I'm not sure even of that.

    Why not?

Who knows.  Why didn't he record any of the things he obviously `should'
have :)?  (Art of Fugue, the other 70+ bach keyboard pieces, more early
stuff -- Gibbon being his favorite composer and all --, etc, etc...)

    Did he ever talk or write about it?

Not more than the superficial what-a-great-piece in the standard
collections, as far as I can recall.  He could well have talked about it
on a tv program or uncollected article, though ...