Re: Vote for Glenn!!

Nothing wrong with the concept of challenge, great piano playing
challenges
us, great compositions challenge the pianist, but at the level of
musicianship
which Gould (and relatively few others) attained, what has competition
to do
with anything? I think a musician of Gould's caliber, and I think there
are
relatively few such, must pour almost all his heart and energy into the
perfecting of his craft, and into understanding the craft, the language,
of
composers. Does such a person have time for competition?

jjrd@sympatico.ca wrote:

> What is so very wrong about "challenge" and "competition" all of a
sudden?
> If the first album of "Abba" would eventually represent the music of
our
> Century, I would assume that humanity would be in serious trouble.
>
> Not that I've got that much of a problem with "Dancing Queen", but
then
> again...
>
> Or as Gould himself could have very well said: "Well, Bruno, Abba is a

> lovely word... How many times would you like me to say it?"

I love this little scene of yours!

> Folks, face it... Gould was an ultra "challenging" kind of a guy.

Couldn't agree more: his greatness is not just that he challenges us (to
wit,
the horrified reaction of some when I've praised GG's recordings of
Mozart's
sonatas), but that great intelligence and impeccable craft are always
evident.

--
http://home.earthlink.net/~lichter

"To forgive is wisdom, to forget is genius."
                                 -Gulley Jimson

--