Re: Sgt. Pepper

zqc53@TTACS.TTU.EDU wrote:
Hate to say this, but I feel Sgt. Pepper was crap.  Yeah, it sounds nice,
but when you get down to it, the sounds used on the record were nice, but
not original,
I strongly object to this. This is not meant to be offensive (or boring), and if it is I apologize. I just would like some time to defend the beatles bacause apart from GG they are my favourite artists

I have spent most of my life listening to the beatles and I must say that the beatles
were anything else but "not original". Just think of the use of the animal sounds between
"reprise" and "a day in the life" or other gimmicks like recording a guitar solo backwards. Gimmicks allright, but they were not trained musicans, they didn'd knew what they were doing and therefore had a lot more freedom to do what they wanted..
The beatles, like GG, used the studio as an instrument. Even today you won't find that many
musicians who consider their studios as "instruments". Good music doesn't nesseceraly has something to
with originality. I know this sounds corny, but I reckon that it is about having talent, heart and soul. And about
having a good time. And a bit of magic, too

and the lyrics were quite inane and somewhat vapid.
Well, maybe, but on the other hand a track like "when I'm 64" is not about the joys of being old.
It's a satirical, if not cynical (if not horrible) vision af a twentysomething of what life will be like as a senior citizen.......
Heck,if you look hard enough, you'll see that the beatles themselves weren't
really all that up on saying it was there best, and in fact, Paul said in
1987 that it was one of their worst-selling records, compared to others
Nah. Maybe it wasn't their best but it's one of their best-sellers. And it's Macca's favourite beatles album
I think that because of their "greatness", no matter what they did would
have been heralded as "great."  Look at the Rolling Stones, who did
basically the same thing, at around the same time, and who sounded similar
in style (if not in sound quality)...they were ripped apart in the press!
Again, no offence intended, but I find this comment rather hilarious. The Stones did "not" do the same
thing. They had a few good tunes in those days but they just din't have enough "talent" or "magic"
and had the press been kind to the Beach Boys, then you would be saying
this about Pet Sounds, which, to be honest, blows Sgt. Pepper out of the
water...compare the two, and you'll see.  They have the
brass/strings/orchestra, like the beatles, but the beatles could never
come close to their harmonies.
Pet Sounds is a very, very,  very good record. It took me a long time to understand it. Unfortunelty Brian Wilson has't done anything of interest since then. Macca claims that this is one of his favourite albums and I agree with him
The lyrics are quite thought-provoking......
All we are saying is give Pet Sounds a Chance!
Joseph
Yep. And if anyone is interested: Capitol Records has released a brilliant box set called "Pet Sounds Sessions"
I just wonder when Sony is  going to release something similar about Glenn Gould.

The defense has closed. Now back to the regular programme........

Pat