Re: GG: C major P & F, Book I or II?

Hi Anne and everyone,

    I think Girard used the Book I prelude because the Friederich
    biography reported (wrongly) that the Book I prelude was the one
    included on Voyager. But Girard seems to get most of the "blame" for

Well, he still should have checked for himself before basing the ending
of his movie on it!  My guess is that he knew very well and decided it
was worth it for dramatic purposes.  I must admit it was very effective
on me when I saw it the first couple times, before I knew it was Book II.

    the error, probably because even people who read the biography
    remember the movie scene before they would remember a brief mention in
    a book.

I guess that's true, since I've read the book a couple times and still
didn't remember it :).

    Gee, I wonder if they included any Beatles songs on Voyager? Sorry,
    couldn't resist!

Looks like the Beatles didn't make the grade.  Here's the list:
(I'm thrilled they used Grumiaux's unaccompanied violin recording,
though I bet Bradley and others won't be happy :)

MUSIC ON VOYAGER RECORD

   * Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F. First Movement, Munich Bach
     Orchestra, Karl Richter, conductor. 4:40
   * Java, court gamelan, "Kinds of Flowers," recorded by Robert Brown. 4:43
   * Senegal, percussion, recorded by Charles Duvelle. 2:08
   * Zaire, Pygmy girls' initiation song, recorded by Colin Turnbull. 0:56
   * Australia, Aborigine songs, "Morning Star" and "Devil Bird," recorded
     by Sandra LeBrun Holmes. 1:26
   * Mexico, "El Cascabel," performed by Lorenzo Barcelata and the Mariachi
     México. 3:14
   * "Johnny B. Goode," written and performed by Chuck Berry. 2:38
   * New Guinea, men's house song, recorded by Robert MacLennan. 1:20
   * Japan, shakuhachi, "Cranes in Their Nest," performed by Coro Yamaguchi.
     4:51
   * Bach, "Gavotte en rondeaux" from the Partita No. 3 in E major for
     Violin, performed by Arthur Grumiaux. 2:55
   * Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser,
     soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor.
     2:55
   * Georgian S.S.R., chorus, "Tchakrulo," collected by Radio Moscow. 2:18
   * Peru, panpipes and drum, collected by Casa de la Cultura, Lima. 0:52
   * "Melancholy Blues," performed by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Seven.
     3:05
   * Azerbaijan S.S.R., bagpipes, recorded by Radio Moscow. 2:30
   * Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Sacrificial Dance, Columbia Symphony
     Orchestra, Igor Stravinsky, conductor. 4:35
   * Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, Prelude and Fugue in C, No.1.
     Glenn Gould, piano. 4:48
   * Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra,
     Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20
   * Bulgaria, "Izlel je Delyo Hagdutin," sung by Valya Balkanska. 4:59
   * Navajo Indians, Night Chant, recorded by Willard Rhodes. 0:57
   * Holborne, Paueans, Galliards, Almains and Other Short Aeirs, "The
     Fairie Round," performed by David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of
     London. 1:17
   * Solomon Islands, panpipes, collected by the Solomon Islands
     Broadcasting Service. 1:12
   * Peru, wedding song, recorded by John Cohen. 0:38
   * China, ch'in, "Flowing Streams," performed by Kuan P'ing-hu. 7:37
   * India, raga, "Jaat Kahan Ho," sung by Surshri Kesar Bai Kerkar. 3:30
   * "Dark Was the Night," written and performed by Blind Willie Johnson.
     3:15
   * Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina,
     performed by Budapest String Quartet. 6:37

The Sounds of Earth

 Music of The SpheresVolcanoes, Earthquake, Thunder Mud Pots
 Wind, Rain, Surf    Crickets, Frogs                Birds, Hyena, Elephant
 Chimpanzee          Wild Dog                       Footsteps, Heartbeat, Laughter
 Fire, Speech        The First Tools                Tame Dog
 Herding Sheep,
 Blacksmith, Sawing  Tractor, Riveter               Morse Code, Ships
 Horse and Cart      Train                          Tractor, Bus, Auto
 F-111 Flyby, Saturn
 5 Lift-off          Kiss, Mother and Child         Life Signs, Pulsar

Greetings to the Universe in 55 Different Languages

   Sumerian    Arabic       Urdu          Italian       Ila (Zambia)
   Akkadian  Romanian      Hindi            Nguni             Nyanja
    Hittite    French Vietnamese            Sotho            Swedish
     Hebrew   Burmese  Sinhalese               Wu           Ukranian
    Aramaic   Spanish      Greek           Korean            Persian
    EnglishIndonesian      Latin         Armenian            Serbian
 Portuguese    Kechua   Japanese           Polish            Luganda
  Cantonese     Dutch    Punjabi           Nepali Amoy (Min dialect)
    Russian    German    Turkish Mandarin Chinese            Marathi
       Thai   Bengali      Welsh         Gujarati            Kannada
     Telugu     Oriya  Hungarian            Czech         Rajasthani