Re: GG: Die Kunst der Fuge (revisited)

Pat Zumstein wrote:

> > Does anybody know  why GG suddenly stopped with  this project? He
> > recorded a lot of Bach in the early 60s....and just because the criticts
> > gave him a hard time........

I think there were a variety of factors involved.  For one thing, GG stopped
playing the organ altogether shortly after this recording was made.  He found
it very difficult to switch over between the two instruments and pretty much
abandoned playing the organ as a result.

Organists were probably glad.  They were generally not impressed with his
work on this disc and it *was* widely criticized.  There were even some
harsh criticisms close to home about this performance (it was likened to
"a trained seal playing car horns" by....was it Fulford?).

Another factor (later on) was that the Kingsway Church, where the first set
was recorded burned down, making that organ and hall ambience pretty
much unavailable for a second installment.

It could be that GG was not altogether comfortable with these pieces as well.
It is well documented that he felt intimidated by the unfinished triple fugue,
which he performed for one of the Bruno M. films.  He found the piece to be
very challenging, not for it's technical requirements, but in that a certain continuity
and forward momentum had to be found between the three sections of the work.

I agree;  it's a shame that GG never realized the entire set on CD318.  It would
have been a stunning achievement.  I also agree regarding your enthusiam for
the segments that are included in the Sony/Bruno M. vids.

> > And most important: Could someone  pleasse reccommend a "reference
> > recording" of KdF? (heard a few good things about the Keller Quartett)

You might want to check the F-minor archives on that one.  Bradley Lehman did
quite an extensive comparison on a number of currently available versions
of this challenging and impressive work.  Don't have the volume number handy,
but maybe he can provide it for you or re-post that review.

best,
jh