Re: GG on CD vs LP

>On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, John Hill wrote:
>
>> Bradley P Lehman wrote:
>> >
>> > Anybody try the utility that comes with IOmega ZIP drives, copying CD's
>> > onto ZIP disks?
>>
>> Ouch!  All this talk about transcribing LPs to CD via PCs has this
>>audiophile
>> engineer running for cover.  I'd recommend buying the CD release, where
>> possible.
>
>Oh, me too, and I wouldn't use the ZIP expecting anything like good audio
>quality.  But I know that a friend compiled about a dozen ZIP disks to
>take with him for a year away, taking his favorite cuts off multiple CD's
>instead of taking along the CD's themselves or trying to burn custom CD's.
>Of course, he's sort of a computerphile anyway, plus he can reuse the ZIPs
>for their intended purpose once he gets tired of listening to them.
>Myself, I'd have trouble listening past the noise of the drive.  ZIPs are
>fine for storage but not made for music.
>
>Bradley Lehman ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/
>Dayton, VA, USA ~ 38.43N+78.98W

For a mere $140, or so, you can pick up a 8.4 gig IDE hard drive (they're
large capacity and quiet) and plug them in from Mac to Mac these days.  I
have 8 HDs now that I use in this manner, just as if they were cartridges!
Of course, if you're stuck with a Windows machine it much more difficult to
do this, if it's even practical at all...  I've never taken the time to
attempt this on our PCs.

Also Mac users are not affected by the recent dangerous internet viruses
and worms, probably because they're so few of us that we're left alone.
<smile>

But I dont understand the audiophile concern, digital is digital.  The
playback equipment should be the focus.  A lot of the GG recordings are a
nightmare for audio perfectionists, but I'm never put off by the mostly
sporadic annoyances, they lend realism(?)   Of course, my 'standard level'
for these aggravations has always been 78s, so I guess I'm pretty much
immune...  heh

I'm not affiliated with Apple, I don't even like the company. <grin>
Jerry