Re:

>I'd say life is accompanied by music, since without life, music could not
>have been created or even played.
>See ya,
>Teun

Oh no!  Music is out there, it's not contingent.

I believe that the composer writes down the notes and patterns, drawing
from his knowledge of the developments in music before him/her, and not
least importantly from his own previous developments.  Then he perfects
what he can and gives the
score to the world.  It's a code that's presented to other 'code readers',
and the biggest part of the subsequent performance by that code reader
comes from him, not from the original creator!  And that's the part we listen
for, because we can all (merely) read the code!

Didn't GG get more out of Haydn's last sonata than anyone had before?  How
did he do that if the patterns weren't out there somewhere??  He never met
Papa Haydn, but he knew what H. was 'pointing at', and he had the ability
to reproduce it convincingly.  When I listen to his recording, I realize
that I've only been playing it disjointedly, all these years.

I'm only being half serious, I hope that's been obvious.
It's a very idealistic to approach music and keeps it fresh for me, as a
lifelong student.  Feel free to destroy the notion, utterly!  I'll still
hold on to some essence of the idea.  ;-)

Jerry