a place called today

Tonight is one of those numerous nights where I just cannot get to bed. My
girlfriend is sleeping like a baby downstairs and here I am, in this office
overlooking a dying industrial city, riveted to a Macintosh screen, the CBC
muted in the background, with Webern's op. 27 looping into the Sennheisers.
Tonight, I feel like writing a little letter to you, f_minor people. So
that is precisely what I shall do. Here I am, writing to a bunch of
strangers... people that somehow I just can't help but like. Why? Perhaps
because of this common interest and/or passion that we share. Most days,
the memory of a man is bringing us together. One, two... several letters.
They come, they go. This forum is interesting. It really is. Serious at
times, totally absurd at others. People may be on this forum for different
reasons and might participate on a regular basis or simply read... it
doesn't matter. I feel that anybody who once took the time to subscribe to
a Glenn Gould forum (and stick around for a while) must be an interesting
soul. An hopeless romantic, a young musician, a nostalgic fan, a severe
researcher, a goofy "philanthrope", a monistic soul, a curious musicologist
(hey, I am French, you may interpret the word "curious" in any sense that
you wish), a music lover... your pick is as good as mine. The "variations
on this theme" are as numerous as the number of individuals involved. With
such a diverse group interested in such a man as Gould, I honestly don't
believe that this forum can always be right on focus and only concentrate
on the man and his music. Of course not. How would that be possible? How
could a forum about Glenn Gould not divert into mathematics, logic,
psychiatry, biotechnology? How could such a forum not at occasions be
diving into new technologies, Sherlock Holmes stories, sudden Russian
astrophysical revelations? How could such a forum not receive a prank
letter once in a while? How could people not giggle at times in this
f_minor of ours? And how could such a forum not talk about the greatest
country on earth? (oh, for you people from out of town, I am talking about
Canada, here, ok?) Or even cry, at times. Sorry to report, but anything is
possible, here. We are talking about Gould, here.

Tonight is one of those numerous nights where I just couldn't get to bed.
Sometimes, I write. Sometimes, I read. Sometimes, I chat one the phone with
a friend in Baltimore until the sun shows up for the both of us. And
tonight, well, I wrote this little letter to you. Tonight, well... I talked
about Glenn.

	Joseph Jean Rolland Dubé
	439, 5e Rue, Studio 1
	Shawinigan (Québec)