Re: GG: Humming - Pirated CD proposal

	I have just heard from the first of the recording studios I contacted.
An initial estimate was that, starting with a Gould CD, the humming
could feasibly be reduced by 50-60%... I was hoping for something better
than this, but there you are.  One would have to have access to the
master tapes in order to concentrate efforts on individual tracks, I was
told; perhaps this is what annette rudel from sonyclassical was
referring to when she said the technology to remove the humming has long
existed already.

	I would have thought that digital sound editing technology would have
allowed a much finer degree of control over even AAD recordings, but
perhaps this sort of capacity is still confined to only the most
expensively-equipped studios.  Does anyone in the list know enough about
modern recording technology to comment?

	Of course the problem is that in removing those frequencies at which
Gould hums and sings, any piano sounds of the same frequency occurring
at those instants will also be affected.  What I and like-minded
listeners would only settle for, of course, is humming removed with no
detectable change in the piano sounds whatsoever.

	By the way, to those who take the position that Gould's music would
suffer if the humming were removed - what's wrong with his piano
playing, that it needs to be augmented by his vocals?  Isn't his playing
good enough that if you were to hear it without the humming, you would
be satisfied that it was an interpretation of genius?  If you say the
music without the humming would be incomplete, then you are saying that
his piano playing alone was incomplete.

Bardolph