CTS, the handshake from hell, and did GG crack his knuckles?

Well ... this is as close to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome as I can get ... there is the famous and unhappy incident of Gould's visit to Steinway in New York in which a gentleman from Steinway was introduced to him and shook Gould's hand -- always a no-no with Gould -- but Gould claimed it was a painfully vigorous shake that left his hand injured for quite some time, and it was the seed of a long estrangement between him and the Steinway organization. This is from dim memory, but I'm sure many many of you know the details and dates.

I don't know much about CTS or Repetitive Movement whatchamacallit, but I don't think it's the inevitable fate of all people who do massive daily amounts of things like piano playing or typing. I've been doing the latter for 35 years or so, nearly all of it on keyboards and machines before there even was a word called ergonomic. For about 25 years I retained a bone spur on the left-hand middle finger that used to bang the carriage return of my first manual typewriters. But to this day, no hand/finger pain, temporary or chronic. Likewise I can't recall any piano master biographies that say "In his/her later years, a lifetime of piano playing had left his/her hands in great pain." In fact I seem to recall that the antidote to things like arthritis is the constant exercise of the affected joints. Rather it would seem the opposite generalization is more true -- that piano playing is good for the fingers and hands. (Or maybe just good or great piano playing.)

On this subject -- was Gould a knuckle-cracker? (Contrary to what Mom said, it's an innocuous practice that won't make you go blind or whatever it was supposed to cause. It's just a noisy forcing of lubricating fluid through the knuckles under unusual pressure.)

Then there's Liszt, who tried to to expand his reach by slicing through the tendons between his fingers. Kids -- don't try this at home.

Bob Merkin