Re: Extra Noises in the 'Bergs

PROMONDE@aol.com wrote:

> Columbia's 30th St. Studios had the ' 81-Golbergs as one of their last
> sessions. It was not "purpose built" as you claim, but was a converted church
> and indeed the subway did run near it, just as it does beneath Carnegie Hall.
>  The digital recording equipment was being used "on trial" from Sony and
> Gould gladly leaped at the chance to perform in the new technology, but in
> the "old" building.

Correct on all the above.  By "purpose-built", I meant that the studio had been
there for quite some time and it would only be reasonable to assume that
various efforts had been made to improve electrical and acoustical isolation.
Given that this converted church had been used in the 50s & 60s for various live
jazz recordings and for everything else since, they certainly had time to "get
the bugs out" of the studio.  It was, after all, the primary east coast recording
facility for Columbia and *everybody* on that label recorded there at some
point.  So, one wouldn't expect to hear problems like relatively high-level
crosstalk showing up on an acoustic piano recording in a well-designed and
maintained studio facility.

jh

jh