Re: Gathering 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Marius Coomans <mcoomans@firmware.com.au>
To: <f_minor@email.rutgers.edu>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 1999 1:06 AM
Subject: Re: Gathering 1999

> My favorite item of the gathering was a new play about Glenn Gould
and
> J.S.Bach, set in a church. It was broadcast later by the CBC radio
and would
> make a wonderful CD ( hint, hint CBC/John Miller...)

I'm so sorry I missed that one. Although I did get to see almost
everything else. I do hope they make that into a CD for those of us
who were out exchanging currency and buying stamps at the time.
(blush, blush) At least I got to see the play "Glenn" at Stratford. (I
also bought a Glenn penn and a mug. Horde, horde...) Of course, I also
bought a boxed set of CDs plus a couple of videos, and some new GG
books, and I wish I'd bought more.

I can't decide on any one highlight yet. Certainly seeing -- and in
some cases, meeting! -- all those people I've associated with GG. One
of my favorite panels was the one about the radio documentaries, and
I'm not just saying that because our Mary Jo Watts participated. The
musicology talks were great -- and I sure hope Kevin's back is better.
But I especially liked hearing from people like Robert Fulton,
Humphrey Burton, Bruno M., Don Hunstein... I think those tell you more
about GG than any number of critics or psychiatrists trying to analyze
him after the fact.

It was exciting to see an expert make a claim few of us agreed with,
and then see the next expert disagree -- gently and politely, of
course. It's nice to see that we're not the only ones who want to
stand up for Glenn Gould. We may not like everything he did or said,
but when a critic says something silly... Meow! Fzzzt fzzt!

> While hardly a comprehensive account of 19gg, I put some photos up
on my web
> site at http://glenn.fdnet.com.au/ggg/

Cool photos! Love the ones on the bench. Some of the purists objected
to the idea of putting the sculpture in a busy area because GG didn't
like crowds. And letting people touch the sculpture because GG didn't
like to be touched. While I can understand their feelings, I also
think GG would've endorsed the idea of "virtual" interaction with his
fans. He probably would've endorsed the sculpture concept more than
the idea of all those doctors trying to diagnose him! :-> (That said,
I didn't touch him on the knee!)

Anyway, we had

My photos aren't up yet. I took about three roles at the Gathering.
Whoops, that should be three rolls. (If I took three *roles*, I guess
they would be Theodore Slotz, Sir Nigel, and Karlheinz Klopweisser.
:->) At work, my manager told me that I could use their scanner. But
we've been too busy ever since I got back. (sigh -- work, work, work)