Re: GG's Opinion

This thread should remind and caution us all about the limited rewards of a lifetime of striving to be good, rational, well-behaved, well-groomed, law-abiding, normal, conservative, sin-free, family-values-oriented, and even professionally holy. JS Bach STILL did a few weeks in jail. (And I don't think Mozart ever did.)

bob merkin
Elmer Elevator's Discount Prep
http://www.javanet.com/~bobmer/

brian scott gaona wrote:

Dear Morgan,
        I think your honesty with yourself and self-awareness about your
opinions of composers and your feelings of GG's coments on them will be
one your strongest assets as a developing musician. I think that honesty
is at the source of all art.
        As for the "rebellious" side of Bach's music, I am quite convinced
that it exists. Take a look at the _Bach Reader_ (for just one example,)
and see if you can find the passage where "Bach is Reproved" for adding
strange notes and harmonies to his music, early in the section on primary
sources.
        I will admit though, from our retrospective point of view, the joy
of listening to bach probably will not come from the racy idea of breaking
tradition, (since at this point Bach really represents "tradition.") I
guess it's just fun for what it is.  and that the genius and perfection
of his forms really seems to fuel the passion of his music rather than
smother it.
        This is my feeling about the composer, but let me say again that
your honest feeling about any composer is more valuable than any contrived
appreciation.

                        Welcome!
                        -brian