Re: GG Radio documentaries a failure?

Dear f_minorites,

Hmmm ... I don't think it's at all a man/woman thang. Boys and men may go
through special kinds of training -- sports, military, shop class -- that
emphasize this kind of one-thing focus. But both genders have equal potentials
to audibly "multi-task." We evolved that way; sometimes we need to listen for
the sabre-tooth tiger's growl AND the baby's cry at the same time. For mostly
bad reasons, most of my editor colleagues cranking out deadline newspapers were
men, and that is The Mother of All Divided-Attention Jobs. So lemme have the
citation on that "well-known fact" thang.

This thread reminds me of how revolutionary "Citizen Kane" and "The Magnificent
Ambersons" were considered for daring to have multiple simultaneous
conversations going. And they were. But of course, as Anne M. said, audiences
responded because that's just the way real audible life is, and they were
excited to see and hear their own experience reflected on the screen. Sound
movies aren't an inherently superior form of art to stage plays ("walking on"
another actor's line is a serious breach of etiquette), but great directors know
how to use the tricks of sound montage -- just as Gould did in Solitude. I
wonder what Gould might have had to say about Welles, and vice-versa.

Bob Merkin
Elmer Elevator's Discount Prep:
http://www.javanet.com/~bobmer/

"Rosebud was his sled."
    -- Lucy, as Linus starts to watch "Citizen Kane" for the first time