RE: What "Unpopular" Glenn Gould Piece Do You Love?

I'm no expert on this topic, and I don't play the piano; I'm sure the
musicians in our group could respond more knowledgeably. Also, you should
take a look at the Bazzana book. However, I'll take a crack at it....

I think that "muscle memory" refers to the process by which, as a result of
practicing a piece repeatedly (gradually adding segments as each segment is
mastered, and memorizing incrementally as he proceeds), the player gets the
piece "in his fingers" -- ie. he is able to play it automatically (this
doesn't mean unemotionally -- it just means without conscious reference to
"remembered" visual [the notes on the page] or audible [the tune running
through his mind]correlatives). On the other hand, someone like GG already
has committed the piece to memory by reading the score ( I'm not sure
whether this is visual or audible recollection of the notes, or a
combination of the two).Someone who does this could also play any excerpt at
will, out of sequence, while muscle memory might depend in some cases  on
playing the entire piece through -- i.e., unless you start from the
beginning, you can't "remember" the whole thing.

Since, for GG, the piece was committed to memory before he touched the
keyboard, the process of "memorizing" was not intertwined with the process
of mastering the notes "motorically," with a prescribed fingering. Thus, he
probably played with whatever fingering came naturally to him, whether or
not it was "awkward" in the conventional sense.