RE: Metronomes (was Re: No, Gould's so fast)

How about his recording of the Beethoven "Emperor". I think he says in the
Sony video performance of Op.73 or in an article that he wrote that he
wanted to treat the concerto as an extension of the Eroica symphony, which
is why he plays the opening flourishes more in strict time rather than an
improvisitory manner. I am not sure he was successful in transforming it
into a three movement symphony, but it is an interesting performance and
definitely not "showy".

Eric Cline x 8116
Senior R & D Chemist
Emulsion, Urethane & UV Polymer Synthesis
Reichhold, Inc.
North American Coatings Business
e-mail: eric.cline@reichhold.com <mailto:eric.cline@reichhold.com>
http://www.reichhold.com <http://www.reichhold.com>
(Click here to go to the Reichhold home page)