bach cantatas, no Gould

Hi Fminor,

In just the last few weeks I've been trying to educate myself on what must
amount to about a third of Bach's entire compositional output, the cantatas,
and I've come across a great inexpensive recording.

Jurgen Jurgens (yes that really is his name) conducting the Trauer-Ode bwv
198, Der Friede Sei Mit Dir bwv 158, and Wer Weiss, Wie Nahe Mir Mein Ende
bwv 27.  Teldec Das Alte Werk 4509-93687-2

Great recording, about 67 minutes long and at around ten dollars, it's a
great buy.

Highly recommended.

The opening chorus to cantata 27 is one of the most beautiful pieces of
music I've ever heard.  (Wish my soulmate were here to listen to it with
me.)  The Bach Oxford Companion calls it a "profound, elegiac lament" and
it's unusual for being in 3/4 time.  And yes, the oboe figures prominently
in it.  Bach + oboe + slow tempo = profound music.

Gustov Leonhardt plays organ and harpsichord, and Anner Bylsma plays cello.

Also highly recommended are Gardiner's versions of the St. Matthew Passion
and B minor Mass.

Bye

Jim

PS:  Anybody else have some cantata recommendations?