gould's two chromatic fantasias

hi list,

just got through listening to the gould video version of the chromatic
fantasia while the cd player was playing the other one.  Certainly different
performances.  Odd they way in the first minute of the performances they
would synchronize momentarily to create a kind of stereo affect, but after
that they went their separate ways.  good experiment to demonstrate just how
difficult it is to play the same piece twice.  Though the end results are
near identical interpretations, I think, it was difficult for me to hear a
passage over a few seconds long in which the two versions matched up
note-for-note.  There were very minor fluctuations in articulation and tempo
that kept unlinking the two performances.  Gave me a taste of how difficult
it must be sometimes to splice together a recorded performance.

Jim