Piano vs harpsichord

From: Juozas Rimas :

> Do you think Bach would compose pieces at (in fact) one volume level if he
could
> get his hands on a piano or at least a clavichord? Isn't it possible he
wanted
> melodic dinamism but physically couldn't get it on the harpsichord?

I have played both piano and harpsichord.  If I had tons of money I would
own a concert grand piano, a harpsichord and a clavichord.  Most of us can't
afford everything we want. I chose the piano.
Keyboard players have been debating (and fighting) over whether or not Bach
would have written music for the modern piano for longer than any of us have
been alive.
The piano that Bach tried and disliked was *not* the instrument that we know
today.

>Anyway I'd like to hear a straight answer from a
>professional (biased, yes - impossible otherwise) but professional.

Glenn Gould obviously preferred the piano to the harpsichord.  There was a
discussion on this list last summer about the very few pieces that GG did
record using the harpsichord.  I remember someone (Bradley perhaps) saying
that GG's harpsichord technique was not good.  I have never heard this
recording so I can't make a judgement on this.  One thing that I am sure of
is this --- if Glenn Gould had wanted to play the harpsichord well, he could
have done so.  The fact that he didn't bother much with this instrument
should tell us something.

Bach did compose for the clavichord.  There are many indications that he
preferred it to the harpsichord.  The clavichord is a small instrument
capable of some crescendo and diminuendo.  It was used in private homes in
Bach's time.  It did not have enough volume for public performances.

Anne