Re: Gould's 1st contrapunctus

oh please Sean, don't tease us like that.  What kind of research have you
been doing, and who better to share it with than this list?  Any thoughts on
reconciling the idea that the visual aspects of a performance can help the
appreciation of the musical experience (to which I add, of course it can,
though I see how the subject can quickly get complicated)  with Gould's
attitude towards concerts, his renunciation of the stage.  Certainly
performing music requires attention to the body, so why not, I imagine some
reasoning must go, attend to this area while listening to music?

Second this. More please, Sean!

And just what the heck were you doing hanging out with Monsaingeon, who
recently had a book he worked on called Sviatoslav Richter : Notebooks and
Conversations published in the States.  Anyone seen it?  I know I was very
impressed with Monsaingeon film on Richter "The Enigma."

I tried to look through that Richter book in a bookshop last week, but it
comes wrapped in plastic.  D'ohh!  What is it that they have to seal
it?  X-rated or something?

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA home: http://i.am/bpl or http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl clavichord CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl trumpet and organ: http://www.mp3.com/hlduo

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot