Re: Fw: Re: Gould vrs Horowitz?

At 08:25 PM 4/26/01 -0400, Elmer Elevator wrote:
I don't know much about Gould's negative feelings about Horowitz, but I
recall a famous rumor/legend that Gould stumbled across an editing session
of Horowitz in the studio one night. The editors/engineers were having
trouble with a short badly recorded passage, so, with great glee, Gould
(allegedly, purportedly) ran to the piano and mimicked the passage a la
Horowitz so the editors could splice it into the Horowitz recording. Later
he loved to point to the Horowitz recording and whisper, "I'm on that, can
you find my playing on that?"

Maybe.  I think I've heard that legend somewhere too.  But it seems
suspiciously close to the story of Elisabeth Schwarzkopf inserting a high
note for Kirsten Flagstad.

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA home: http://i.am/bpl or http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl clavichord CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl trumpet and organ: http://www.mp3.com/hlduo

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot