Re: Gould vs Horowitz / Brendel vs Gould

Someone else on this list was recently drawing an important distinction between
pianists whose work had equal resonance for "musicians" as "pianists", and those
pianists whose significance was overwhelmingly for "pianists" not "musicians".

I am an admirer of Brendel's piano-playing; I have been listening to his
Beethoven sonatas and Diabelli Variations for years.

I think Brendel's comments are indicative of the dangers of a pianists' pianist
passing judgment on a musicians' pianist. Brendel has recorded the complete
Beethoven sonatas something like 3 or 4 times. I understand that he's about to
start, or is in the middle of, or has recently completed, another complete cycle
of the Mozart piano concertos. I'm sure it's all played very convincingly,
nothing being at "cross-angles" with the music. But it's just a bit boring,
isn't it? He just keeps playing the piano very well. In that regard he stands in
stark contrast to Gould, who was a profound, groud-breaking musician who used
his instrument as a means of communication, not as a end in itself.

For all their gifts, instrumentalists like Brendel will never send out the
intellectual and musical ripples of a Gould or a Richter. Gould and Richter were
altogether too strong to make the kinds of recordings that Brendel is content to
make. Possibly aware of this, or perhaps just plain narcissistic on an even less
tolerable level, the Brendels continue to pass comments like "within the limits,
structure etc.". It's all very obvious and more than a bit thick.