Re: about Mozart, Musicians and Gould

Hi Sara:
Definitely, participating in this kind of list means fun to me, and it helps
me in many ways, to know things better.
I suscribed some two weeks ago, and I am kind of surprised by the fact (of
course I learned it here) that Gould didn't like Mozart.
I love Gould's recordings, but I'm not very informed about his life and
whereabouts, so the list is a constant joy to me.
Back to Mozart, and trying to think about the reasons behind Goulds dislike,
let me tell you that surprisingly, I'm not precisely a big fan of Mozart.
Moreover, in what I consider an extense CD collection I own, he represents a
mere 1%, may be 2%.
To summ up my impression about Mozart, the work I admire the most, the
Requiem, was mainly written by another guy!!!
I find myself not being the tip of the thumb of Gould as a pianist, and with
a  humble amateur reach when it comes to musicology or technical
understanding of music.
So I can easely admit that I have no rational element to judge Mozart's art.
BUT, on the other hand, I feel exactly the same as Gould towards Mozart.
I believe that in music, there is a sort of apreciation that can be
rationalized, but it is primarily, and firstly, irrational. I'm talking
about that instinctive perception of the equilibrium between the obvious and
the predictable.
The musical genious just manages to make his trip on the rope of music not
falling in these extremes.
I think that everyone is able to unconciously "follow" the musical speech of
a work, and therefore unconciously "guess" what's comming next. The subtle
seduction of this continuous "mind game", and the right mix between guesses
and falilures, makes music enjoyable.
To me, Mozart is generally dangerously near to the edge of "the gorge of the
obvious".
In "eine musicalisches Spass" (A musical joke), Mozart intended to summarize
the cliches and common places of any mediocre composer of his time.
Paradoxically, until I read about the reason of the name given to the work,
I considered this work as a tipically "Mozartian" piece of music. After
reading the explanation, with pain I must say that my opinion didn't change,
and it only happened that I added to my inner picture of Mozart an "Here is
an ill advised joker" sign hanging on his neck.
Don't get me wrong. Not even in a zillion years I would be able to conceive
music like "eine kleine Nachtmusik" or Haffner or Jupiter symphonies. But I
don't see Mozart SO far away from the rest, and may be he many times was too
close to be obvious.
So, it is an honor to me to be as politically incorrect as Gould.
Regards.
Pablo