Re: lost cell phone -- gould's?

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Pooya Woodcock wrote:

> i wonder what gould may have thought about cell phones and similar technology.
> (particularly the ones that do the cool bach preludes and fugues)
> hmm.... hypothetical indeed. most cell phones come pre-installed with
> bach nowadays, and since gould loved to hum tunes and et cetera,
> perhaps he'd love carrying around a cell phone. imo, i don't like
> cell phones and i don't think that gould would either, but this is
> just a thought spawned by a humorous e-message. regards,

He'd have to have one where the tunes are reprogrammable, because phones
don't come with Petula Clark pre-installed.  But he'd probably also just
set the ringer to silence so nobody can call him, but he can call out.
That way the phone call is always at the time of his own choosing.  A cell
phone would also make it easier to call his broker with the latest tip.

I set mine so it rings the fugue subject that Bach's postman [allegedly]
whistled, from the Capriccio in Bb.  That or one of the Schoenberg piano
pieces.  If it rings, I *know* it's my phone or else belongs to someone
interesting I really should meet.

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl  or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot