Re: Gould's heart in Baroque period?? oder ASCH?

> Meanwhile, as for Baroque music, what did Gould know/appreciate of the
> 17th century, which is the heart of Baroque music?  Bach's music was
> already "old-fashioned" by the time he wrote it.  And Gould's Bach (as
> opposed to regular Bach...) was a modern concoction through Schoenberg and
> others, anyway...Bach as seen from the future, rather than Bach as a
> culmination of 17th century music.

I can't imagine Schoenberg being "the core" of Gould. It understandable he had
an idol in the modern epoch on which he based his unique style but the material
from what he crafted his art was Bach. Schoenberg (or almost any other composer)
couldn't offer the sheer quantity (could anyone compare the amount of solo
keyboard works by Bach and Schoenberg that Gould recorded?).
So notwithstanding the fact that we may be looking at Bach through Schoenberg's
glasses, we see Bach. I'm sure Bach was the only composer who could offer enough
material and variety for Gould to express himself. Much less attention would be
payed at Gould if he for some reason played very little Bach compared to other
composers. He's "primarily a Bach interpreter" (an approximate translation from
one LP cover), don't you agree?

Juozas Rimas Jr
http://mp3.com/JuozasRimas