Re: GG and Competition and Showing Off

Daniel said:

>I'm curious to know
> how piano, violin, cello, etc. solo performers start their career? Are
> competitions a necessary evil . . . . ?

I don't think that they are absolutely necessary to a career, but winning a
major contest does give a young performer a jump start.

I have never heard that Glenn Gould entered any of the major international
competitions.  I know he entered and won at the Kiwanis Music Festival when
he was young.  In fact he was in the very first competition.  This is now a
national competition.  At that time I think the competitions were merely
local ones.  I don't think that the Provincials had been organized then.

One of the things that I like best about the Glenn Gould Prize given by the
Foundation is the fact that the winner gets to name a protégé.  The protégé
receives $10,000 and much needed recognition.

It seems to me that Glenn Gould thought of the concert stage as competition.
It certainly is.  Not all, but a great many people go to concerts to see if
A can "out play" B.  This is more important to some people than the music.

Anne

Scanned and protected by Nexicom Inc.'s Email Virus Scanning System