Re: GG Music with Life

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Whiskeychan" <ojibwa50@HOTMAIL.COM>
To: <F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2002 2:21 PM
Subject: GG Music with Life

Dear Bradley and All,
I lost your post Bradley so I can't quote from it.
Would you please explain why it is that Glenn Gould's later recordings moved
so many people if they are as lifeless as you depict.
Seems to me that what you wrote is your opinion.  It's okay to have an
opinion.  It's not right to present that opinion as fact.

Well, I accepted it as an opinion. To my unprofessional ear, the later Gould
doesn't differ from the young Gould *so much* at all, certainly not to the
extent that the later recordings are worse: "Artifice, taken to an extreme"
as GG supposedly walked away from "a great sense of beauty and structure and
grace". Gould's style was peculiar from the very beginning and I personally
am not so sensitive to notice radical changes in an already radically
peculiar style of playing :)

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://www.mp3.com/juozasrimas (oboe, piano, strings)