GG: Background and foreground

I'm glad the Rothstein article has offered such rich conversation!

To Quote Bradley: "I agree with Rothstein: that emphasis on making
everything "foreground"  is a clear and succinct assessment of Gould's
style."

Isn't this amusing coming from Gould, a man who had a fondness for muzak!
I also think, of course, of the radio programs but also that famous quote
about how in the best scenario there would be no art-- all of life would
be art. (my paraphrase) In the best of worlds everything would be
foregrounded after a fashion? Is this what's at the heart of GG's instinct
to contrapuntalize EVERYTHING!!??

Is his propensity to to foreground what people mean when they talk of
Gould's love of structure-- demonstrating the love of, desire for rules
and cohesion?

Again I had another conversation with my violinist friend about the
Goldbergs and she said 'when I want to feel the glory, the awe of Bach's
structure, I listen to Gould but when I want a human response to their
lyricism, it's Perahia' (http://www.sonyclassical.com/music/89243/)  Now I
know what she means but I can't say I'm fond of the recording TECHNIQUES
on the Perahia CD but as playing it offers something as a marked and
amazing contrast. He foregrounds totally different aspects.  It's really
fun to compare.  The differences between Gould and Tureck weren't so
obvious to me.  But I'm not a trained musician.

Anyway-- I'm a bit loopy today with sinusitus so I hope this made sense!

-Mary Jo