Re: New 1957 Gould performance? (fwd)

Mary Jo - you are my hero!!!

I did some research on CBC's web site... apparently they are televising one of the many archival clips CBC has _finally_ pulled off the shelves. They had mentioned on the earlier GG Arts Canada site about some "CBC archives" information on GG, which never materialised. Finally... today, here it is!

http://archives.cbc.ca/300c.asp?IDCat=68&IDDos=320&IDLan=1&IDMenu=68

Or go to http://archives.cbc.ca and click on Topic Index, and select Glenn Gould.

Anyway, they have an online version of this Bach concerto excerpt at:

 http://archives.radio-canada.ca//500f.asp?IDDos=309&IDLan=0&IDCli=1629&TD=Variations+Glenn+Gould&TC=Concerto+en+r%E9+mineur+de+Bach

You have to be careful with CBC's web site... they have both English and French links, but not always the exact same content on both! I couldn't find this link on the English side.

Anyway, congratulations to CBC for finally coming through on their promise to post these clips. Although I would advise anyone with a VCR in Canada to tape it, because, the online videos are veeeeery small, and the television broadcast should be a lot cleaner.

Thank you, Mary Jo!!!

Signed,
Sir Nigel

Mary Jo Watts wrote:

An anonymous tip--

I'm not aware of any information about this performance-- anyone else
familiar with it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello Mary Jo

Perhaps you know already but I thought I'd alert you to the fact that CBC
TV News will broadcast a performance by GG tonight on The National
<http://www.cbc.ca/news/national/>. The 7+ minute clip will run some time
in the last 10-15 minutes of the one hour broadcast.  He's playing the
last two movements of Bach's (ahem) f minor concerto with (I think) the
CBC Radio Orchestra (Toronto). As far as we know this performance hasn't
been seen or heard since it was broadcast live on CBC television in 1957.

Today the Queen arrived in Canada for another visit. This is the
Queen's Golden Jubilee so this visit has an historic angle. CBC
Television producers were combing the archives looking for footage
from earlier visits by the Queen. They found a kinescope from a 1957
broadcast with an entry "Queen's address and music". The "Queen's
address" was in fact the first live television broadcast she had ever
done. Historic footage indeed. She spoke to the nation from Ottawa.
<http://cbc.ca/news/bigpicture/queen/>

But what of the "music"? There are several live television
performances with different musicians in Montreal and Toronto
(perhaps elsewhere?) As they were running through the footage a
television news producer spotted Gould and thought perhaps this was
something special. A couple of people from CBC Radio Music were
called in for an opinion.  To the best of their knowledge this was an
unknown clip.

By all appearances it's a pretty significant find. The fact that it
was found the day before the anniversary of Gould's death, that it
was a performance for the Queen, and that the Queen is now back in
the country . . . all of this made it a rather newsworthy item. So TV
ran a story near the end of last night's television news broadcast
about having found the clip. The anchor (Peter Mansbridge) sounded
genuinely excited as he set up the clip. Tonight they are planning to
run the whole clip.

For a kinescope the picture is excellent and so is the sound. I
haven't seen or heard the whole thing but I've heard most of the 2nd
movement and I can tell you that it is slower and rather more
romantic than the version he recorded for Sony just a year later.
There's also the distinct pleasure of seeing Gould emote all over the
place! Wonderful stuff.

I hope this is something new. If not, please let me know. In the
meantime you'll probably want to pass this news on to your list
members. I hope you can catch the broadcast.

There's a transcript of last night's broadcast here
<http://cbc.ca/national/transcripts/transcript#241864-26 >. Please
note that the typed transcript has some errors so don't be too picky
about the quotes!